Thursday, February 2, 2012

Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up...

Tonight on my walk to the train, this oldie-but-a-goodie of a song came on my iPod. One of those high-school anthems that I'll never forget.

In This Diary by The Ataris

When I looked up and noticed how gorgeous it was out tonight, I became freakishly aware of the lyrics I was mouthing.

"The only thing that matters is just following your heart, and eventually you'll finally get it right."

It's no secret that when you're young and out in the "real world" trying to find your niche, you're bound to make a wrong turn and run obstacles that will plant themselves right in your damn way. Sometimes, I wish there was a GPS for those wrong turns. And other times, I wish those obstacles would go find someone else to bump into. Either way...what I realized tonight is that even though you may be stuck in a situation that makes you just want to cry, scream, kick, whine, and eat a gallon of ice cream, you must not forget what your true goals and dreams are.

Lately I've been guilty of losing sight of what I actually want from my professional career. And lately I have doubted the choices I have made thus far because my dream career has not immediately presented itself. But it's ideas like that, which separate the weak from those who won't back down from success and true happiness.

So tonight I'm making a promise to myself. As much as I want to complain and cry, I will never back down from my dreams. Because eventually...I will finally get it right. And when my dreams finally do come true, you'll find me with a smile on my face reveling in my accomplishments.

Until then -

xo.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! You will get it right -- patience and ambition. Which you have. And if you need to cry and scream, and eat a gallon of ice cream, I'll be right there with you.

    ReplyDelete